Monday, May 07, 2007

Emotional Rescue


Can't get that song out of my head.

I took the last four days off from work 'cos I was feeling very close to burnout. A combination of end of term blues, exam marking that went on forever, and meeting after meeting as people try to get items cleared before everybody disappears for the summer. Woke up Friday morning and realised everything I had scheduled for the weekend would just have to go and do something carnal to itself (now that I am among so many fresh faced kids I have to watch the SWEARING, which is a shame becuase I do love a bit of imaginative and filthy cursing). This feeling carried over to today, so no school for me.

Instead, I gardened. All weekend I was going to garden centers and clearing up bag after bag of dead winter plant. And feeling so much better. I cannot recommend gardening highly enough as a stress beater.

So now I write this on my porch (see above for lovely view) while drinking a Ricard. All I need now is some quality chat.

4 comments:

Queenie said...

Lovely. i was supposed to start digging the vegetable garden last night but I had to play basketball with the teenager instead. I sprained my thumb, so digging this evening is going to be a nightmare.

Chinn said...

hey my onions are agrowin and i have some great plants out the back. i also planted a willow and a cherry tree. the grass is not looking the best at the mo but the general aspect is pretty good. Gardening has toned my arms up too. excellent way to get the angry out.

ian said...

now that I am among so many fresh faced kids I have to watch the SWEARING

I dunno, kids love swearing, one of my lecturers is always describing various middle eastern leaders as being complete shitheads (when not talking about how attractive various lady academics or wives of middle eastern leaders are.

mylescorcoran said...

Yes, I remember Sam telling me she got some good mileage out of well-placed swearing in lectures.

I suspect the Canadians (and their southern cousins) aren't quite as receptive however. I had three Canadian friends in school who responded with slack-jawed disbelief the first time Sally f'ed at them.