Tuesday, January 30, 2007

SPLAT

That sound you hear is a pile of work landing on me the minute I touched down in Canadia.

So after all my promises that, yes, I’ll get back to blogging, it hasn’t happened.

Anyway, things are easing off a bit (I’m not preparing classes until midnight anymore).

And I’ve been bookgaming, since it only takes a minute or two out of my day, and only every 2-3 days at that. It makes me feel as if I’m still close to my friends, just in the next room over, as it were.

What else? I went through a bad patch when I got back. After 2 solid weeks of Family and Friends coming back to an empty house felt very odd. I began to obsessively look at pictures of cats. I even went to a shelter, but came back empty-handed.

And I finally got tired of waiting for my furniture to arrive, which will be a while because I’ve not had the time to arrange a loan with the bank for the money to ship things over (note to self, must also see accountant and sort out if I can write this off against tax). So I went to IKEA. I’ve never been. IKEA is brilliant! And thanks to IKEA I now have a comfy chair and table to write this on. Working from the floor got very tiring.

Anyway, duty calls.

6 comments:

Andrew Farrell said...

It's good to hear from you again, and it was great to see you at Christmas. And to see your plucky efforts at the book game :)

mylescorcoran said...

Glad to see you back in Blogland.

January is a tough month for the ex-pat. I remember having a hard time of it when I was working in France, returning to work and leaving behind the friends and bright lights of Christmas.

Take care of yourself. IKEA-therapy's a good start!

Queenie said...

Yes you can write all that stuff off against tax and your flights as well.

Your tax return will be a nightmare waiting game this year as it is your first in Canada, so you will finally get your rebate in late august. Just in time to pay for your flights somewhere for Christmas!!

But apparently after that, you get into the 'real Canadian' queue and it's much quicker.

The nice woman in Revenue told me that I should have queried their commitment to service formally around May and I would have got it a couple of months earlier, so maybe you can do that if you have problems.

Ammonite said...

Thanks, Queenie!

Aileen O'Carroll said...

god I'm so jealous you have an Ikea, and can't believe you've just discovered it. Glad to see you blogging again, you were missed.

Chinn said...

hey Aileen stole my comment!!