Sunday, September 14, 2008

More on the fuzzy logic rice cooker

Earlier in the week I thought I'd make myself some dal. As I was getting out the pot I thought "let's try this in the FLRC.' So in went half a pound of mung beans, some garlic, ginger, onions, chili and spices and water to cover. I set the FLRC to 'slow cook' and went back upstairs to work. One hour later, perfectly cooked dal.

Today's experiment was only moderately successful. I set the timer last night to have porridge ready by 8. This worked perfectly but, perhaps because I actually used Red River instead of porridge, or maybe because I had the cooking program set to 'regular', there was a lot of overspill. Took a while to clean up. The Red River was fine thiugh, although I'm always tempted to take the cooked cereal and fry it with eggs and bacon ('Saskatoon Hash'). This would negate the general healthiness of the exercise.

Anyway, next I shall try the FLRC with a Cuban black bean stew.

I know this is dull stuff but I'm just done with the first week of term. Am v. tired.

2 comments:

mylescorcoran said...

There's nothing dull about marvelous devices that cook you food while you're asleep.

Keep it up. Once we move house to a kitchen with some actual storage space we're seriously planning to get a FLRC.

ian said...

It's only a matter of time before you try to slow-cook red kidney beans, and then you will be travelling back in time to be an item on a 1970s episode of That's Life.