Wednesday, September 20, 2006

It's easy to be cool when someone's watching you


I have a raft ‘must blog about this’ items in my mental ‘to-do list’ but what with preparing classes and getting my life in Canadia together (not to mention a number of marathon sleeping sessions) it’s becoming quite the guilt-burden.

But today I jettisoned the blog-list because today something genuinely blog-worthy happened. We had an anthrax scare.

And it was genuinely scary. There were policemen, firemen and paramedics in droves. People were decontaminated and carried away in ambulances. They closed off two floors of the building I work in, but oddly enough didn’t close the library that occupies the floors directly beneath the contaminated offices. The elevators share the same shaft system and while they closed off the ‘public’ one they didn’t close the library elevators.

Guess who spent most of her day in the library?

At first I was pretty blasé about it; bomb scares were regular enough back in my early college days. It was only on the drive home that I found myself getting a little freaked out. I think it’s because I’m really focused at work, and there’s lots of people around me. Then I drive for an hour and come back to a dark, silent, empty house.

Anyway, I just got the latest update and the ‘mysterious substance’ has been identified as whey powder. So it was just the work of deranged looper rather than a sociopathic looper.

Still, I would have been happier if they had just evacuated the entire damn building.

5 comments:

mylescorcoran said...

Gah, that sounds NO FUN. Our returning students in UCC don't pull tricks like that, and only occasionally call in fire or bomb warnings during exam time, which only to be expected (some students not possessing much in the way of common sense).

I hope it's all sorted out and you can get back to normality, or whatever you're enjoying in its place at the moment.

mylescorcoran said...

Oh, and don't be feeling guilty about not blogging. That's pointless. There's plenty of other things to be feeling guilty about, rightly or wrongly, so blogging comes a long way down my list.

Commenting on other people's blogs, now that's important.

Chinn said...

yikes..

heard all is ok so good thing.

sounds like they are trying to kill off the dedicated :)

Chinn said...

yikes..

heard all is ok so good thing.

sounds like they are trying to kill off the dedicated :)

Queenie said...

Blog guilt is a terrible burden. I carry it with me most days. The worst is when you write a whingy blogpost and then cheer up cos you've vented and go off and do living your life stuff and forget to blog for a week. And then all your friends start wondering whether you didn't throw yourself off a bridge.